By CUF Staff | April 13, 2012
In response to the recent threats to religious freedom in our nation, the USCCB has released a document detailing specific threats and exhorting the faithful to fight against these measures.
The document, “Our First, Most Cherished Liberty: A Statement on Religious Liberty,” first outlines the necessity of religious freedom, explaining that America has always fought to safeguard this fundamental right. Next, specific examples of threats to this freedom are given. They impact many aspects of society, including
- HHS mandate for contraception, sterilization, and abortion-inducing drugs
- state immigration laws
- altering Church structure and governance
- Catholic foster care and adoption services
- discriminating against small church congregations and
- discriminating against Catholic humanitarian services
The document then gives a more detailed summary of our obligation to defend freedom of religion–not simply freedom of worship–and calls on the faithful to work toward maintaining our rights with “all the energies the Catholic community can muster.”
The bishops also recommend that we fast and pray for the fortnight between June 21 (the feasts of Sts. John Fisher and Thomas More) and July 4 to “emphasize both our Christian and American heritage of liberty.”
The entire document can be read here.