By Sarah Rozman | October 29, 2009
Bishops across the United States have been voicing their opposition to healthcare reform that funds abortion and that doesn’t protect the conscience rights of healthcare providers–such as the bills before Congress right now. The USCCB wants to get that message into every parish in America. American Papist alerts us to an urgent message from the USCCB Pro-Life Activities secretariat:
From: Tom Grenchik, Secretariat of Pro-Life Activities
To: Diocesan Pro-Life Directors & State Catholic Conference Director
Re: URGENT: Nationwide USCCB Bulletin Insert on Health Care Reform
Attached [see below], please find an Urgent Memorandum highlighting USCCB plans and requests for diocesan and parish based activation on health care reform.
The President of the Conference and the Chairmen of the three major USCCB committees engaged in health care reform have written all the bishops and asked that the attached USCCB Nationwide Bulletin Insert on health care reform be printed or hand-stuffed in every parish bulletin and/or distributed in pews or at church entrances as soon as possible.
Congressional votes may take place as soon as early November. If your Arch/bishop is not in agreement with disseminating the bulletin insert, you will be hearing from his office immediately. You may wish to check with his office ASAP to see how you may be of assistance in distributing the Bulletin Insert, far and wide.
Tomorrow, the USCCB will be e-mailing these same materials to a large number of parishes across the country, already on a USCCB contact list. The parish list is incomplete, so we will still have to rely on diocesan e-mail systems to reach EVERY parish. Thank you for your great help with this.
Also included are suggested Pulpit Announcements and a Prayer Petition.
There is also a copy of a newly-released ad for the Catholic press, which may be printed as flyers for the vestibule or copied on the flip-side of the Bulletin Insert. The flyer/ad directs readers to www.usccb.org/action where they may send their pre-written e-mails to Congress through NCHLA’s Grassroots Action Center. If you wish to sponsor the ad in your local Catholic paper and need a different size, please contact Deirdre McQuade at email@example.com.
Please encourage parishioners to pray for this effort as well. More information can be found at www.usccb.org/healthcare.
Thank you for your urgent actions and prayers on behalf of this nationwide effort!
- Bulletin insert. “Tell Congress: Remove Abortion Funding & Mandates from Needed Health Care Reform”
- Full-color ad. “Health Care Reform Is about Saving Lives, Not Destroying Them”
- Pulpit announcement & prayer of the faithful (at American Papist)
- HC Cover Note to Leaders, Final.doc (a digital version of the email above, at American Papist)
I’d also like to cite AmP’s action points, which we at CUF echo:
- Please ask your pastor if he intends to use these materials. If he is not aware of them – forward them to this post on AmP [or on cufblog.org] so he has access to them. Or, print them out and bring them to him personally.
- Perform the action items described in the materials I’ve provided in this USCCB bulletin insert.
- Pray that health care reform not be passed unless it is truly universal and pro-life.
Health care reform could be voted on as early as next week. These materials need to be in the hands of Catholics starting this weekend. Thank you for your efforts in serving our bishops and getting the word out. Godspeed.