By Sarah Rozman | November 6, 2008
The Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA; S. 1173, H.R. 1964) is again before Congress, and the results of Tuesday’s elections greatly increase the probability that FOCA will become law. Our president-elect, Barack Obama, has promised to sign FOCA. We need to make sure that he doesn’t have the chance.
The USCCB’s FOCA Fact Sheet (PDF opens in new window) lists six major ways in which FOCA imposes abortion and demolishes individual liberty (emphasis mine):
- FOCA will invalidate laws to protect a woman from unsafe abortion clinics and to ensure that she is informed about abortion.
- FOCA will require taxpayers to pay for abortions.
- FOCA will require states to allow “partial-birth” and other late-term abortions.
- FOCA will require states to allow abortions by non-physicians.
- FOCA will bar laws protecting a right of conscientious objection to abortion.
- FOCA will deny parents an opportunity to be involved in their minor daughter’s abortion decision.
It is “the most radical abortion legislation in U.S. history.”
People have been talking about it, but now we need to act. Let’s make sure that FOCA (S. 1173, H.R. 1964) doesn’t become law. Please contact your U.S. Representative and your two U.S. Senators NOW by fax, email, or phone. Tell them, “Please pledge now to oppose FOCA.” Full contact info can be found at house.gov and senate.gov. You can also call the U.S. Capitol switchboard: (202) 224-3121.
Talk to your friends and family. Encourage them to contact their Representative and Senators. Make sure they know the damage the FOCA will do.
Visit the USCCB page devoted to FOCA for more information, media ads, and action alerts.